April 23, 2009

Only in Yootah...


Okay, really?! There are two of these signs at my grocery store of choice...not sure if they're hanging elsewhere in this Theocracy, but I am curious as to why they are there to begin with. Did someone "accidentally" buy some of the product(s) shown above and get in trouble with the wife? Did some bitty harrumph to the store management?

Sadly, I must admit that I've lived in this state my entire life and even sadder is the fact that shit like this occurs... I thought the "Zion Curtain" in restaurants was bullshit...but this takes it to a whole 'nother level. I could go on a fucking wicked rant right now...but instead I'm going to restrain myself as I don't want to overly offend anyone and potentially hurt their tender wittle we-can-do-no-wrong feewings. I will; however, say this: if you're worried about your children trying/using anything that you deem as being morally apprehensible then talk to them - taking it out of stores, hiding it from them, pretending it doesn't exist, etc. is no substitution for responsible parenting and will do nothing but further their own curiosity and increase the temptation for them to give it a whirl.

1 comment:

  1. I've not seen that sign before in any of the stores here in Salt Lake, although it's probably just a matter of time.

    I'm telling you, we made a few good changes in this last legislative session, but only after taking a few steps backwards. The removal of the wine coolers or "alcopops" was very dumb, and a total disrespect for any grocery or convenience store.

    I agree with you last statement 100%. It's not about removing the temptation. It's about proper education and being a responsible parent.

    ReplyDelete